Friday, May 26, 2017

Worth the effort.

I get my blog post ideas from the AnnDee Ellis 8 Minute Memoir and she never fails to give me something to write about. She has quickly become one of my favorite blogs to follow.

Today I am writing about something that is tiring, exhausting, and difficult...but utterly worth the effort. At first I considered writing about something super poignant. Like marriage, motherhood, family life, or my career. And while these things are absolutely worthwhile...I wanted to keep things light today. So I chose.....



Chicken and Dumplings. American style.

Not this:



THIS:



Oh, yes. My family loves my chicken and dumplings. I do, too. I'm not an especially good cook. And most of the time, I simply cook to sustain life. But occasionally I cook something that really rocks. I've got about five recipes that I keep in my rotation, and the one I usually go for when someone gets sick and my help...is chicken and dumplings. First, because it's amazing. And second, because it feeds a lot of people. And third, because it's all homey and delicious, and it makes people feel all warm and fuzzy. It's like a trip to grandma's house. Back at the farm. You see where I'm going with this...

The only thing about chicken and dumplings is...it takes forever to make. (It it's made correctly.) You have to boil a whole chicken for no less than two hours. You have to cook it with an onion (skins and all,) and celery and carrots. Then you have to let it cool, and pick all the yummy meat off of the bones. Then you thicken the delicious broth (referred to as "liquid gold" in our house) and boil the dollops of bisquick....and ahhhhhhhh....perfection. But only after about three hours of work.

In a nutshell: it's a pain in the a** to make.



But totally worth the effort.

I'm pretty sure it will cure cancer. Maybe not. But in case I get any more butt tumors the size of wine corks in my rectum.............I'll keep the recipe on hand. :)



What do you make that is a total pain in the keister, but totally worth the effort?

xoxo
Brooke Moss

No comments:

Post a Comment