Friday, April 21, 2017

When I was bad, and that was good.

I read a blog that has the specific purpose of posting blog post topics for other bloggers like me.

That sounded way more confusing that it should've been, but you get the drift: she posts a topic, I occasionally post about it, and then we all win. Or at least you, my loyal readers, win...because you have some new, weird rambling from my peculiar brain to read about while you await my next release...which really is coming soon, I swear.



Today's topic was a good one. I couldn't just ignore it. "Write about a time when you were bad, and it was good." She said she was inspired by Wreck-It Ralph--a cartoon my kid's never really got into, though for some odd reason, my husband did. Whatever. He's goofy.

But when I read that topic from AnnDee Ellis, I had to blog about it. Because well.........I am often bad. But it's always for a greater good.

First and foremost, as a parent, I am often required to be what my children would likely qualify as "bad," though I have to do it for their own health, mental health, safety, educational success, social success, etc. When you're a parent, you never get to just be the "cool parent." It simply doesn't work that way. Sure, there are glimpses of "hey, mom, it was awesome of you to buy me that new blouse," but those "cool" moments never last. Not if you're doing your actual job as a parent. Because the word "no" inevitably comes back, you inevitably have to make someone lower their voice, do something they don't want to do, change their course, or stop something they don't want to stop. But, of course, you're doing it for their own safety or well being. So....there you are.

Being "bad," but it's good.



Also, as an ex-wife...I am always, and I do mean always placed securely and permanently in the role of the bad guy. Always. Every day of the week. Every week of the month. Every month of the year. It never stops. Sometimes it wanes more than it waxes, but over all, as a whole...I am always the bad guy. So in this respect, I can really relate with Wreck-It Ralph. However, that does not mean that I enjoy this role, the pressure this role puts on me, the strain it creates in my life and in my relationships, and the persona I've been irrevocably gifted with. But I deal. I have no choice but to deal, and so I deal. It's cool, because the kids I do it for are far more important than a silly little thing like a reputation.



I don't necessarily think that being the Wreck-It Ralph around here is all bad. The truth is, I get stuff done. There is no pussyfooting around with me. We don't have a lot of clutter in our home. When I set deadlines, I hit them. When I make goals, I achieve them. I don't procrastinate. I don't put things off for later. If I say I'm going to do it, I do it. Usually quickly. Sometimes I do it by all means necessary. This can sometimes make me look ruthless, and ruthless is considered....bad. But I've learned to appreciate this side of my personality, because without it, our life would be in disarray. I keep things running. I keep things organized. I keep our home--and all the people in it--functioning at its best capacity, and for that I'm a little bit proud.

So yeah....I'm bad, sometimes, but it's good.

If being "bad" keeps my sweet husband and children healthy and happy, then I'll be bad every day, every minute, every hour, every week of every year. It's cool. I can take the tarnished rep. I've had it for this long, I'm actually growing quite fond of it. :)



xoxo
Brooke

No comments:

Post a Comment