Monday, October 10, 2016

Pokemon is the new cock-fighting.

My son's are really into Pokemon right now. And it's driving me insane.



The cards, the shows, the app...all of it gives me a stomachache. I'm not sure why they're into it right now. Maybe because we're in Asia, and Korean kids are really into those peculiar Anime characters and phenomenons. Plus, the cards are all dirt cheap here, so of course they want me buy them all the time.

As I write this blog post, they're sitting next to me on the couch watching this old, lame Pokemon cartoon. The theme song is very 1980's cartoon theme song. Very heavy on the guitar riffs and emphatic singing. My youngest son tries to sing along, but doesn't know the words. It becomes very loud.



I wish I understood why this show appeals to kids. From what I've seen over the last hour, it's these large eyed one-dimensional characters that have weird adventures while traveling, and they challenge other Pokemon owners to "battles." But the battles aren't between the characters. It's between the Pokemon animals. (Are they even animals? I don't know.) Then the "animals" battle it out and get the crap kicked out of them. Then the weird people characters high five a battle well won, and Pikachu whimpers as they close the episode.

Poor Pikachu. That thing has been beaten at least twelve times already.



Reminds me of cock-fighting. Or dog-fighting. And isn't that illegal? If so, why is it acceptable to make the little cartoon "animals" battle?

I'm confused by it all.

My kids need new interests.

xoxo
Brooke

No comments:

Post a Comment