Sunday, October 23, 2016

I recently discovered...

...That I am not very productive after lunch.



At ECWC 2016, I took a workshop all about learning how to write 10K words a day. The author giving the workshop was fantastic and very wise and also a librarian (have I ever mentioned how much I adore librarians?) and I loved every word of it.

But 10K words a day? No freaking way.

Lately, and it hasn't always been this bad, but...I've been averaging about 1500 to 2000 words. I know, I know, that's just sad. But after listening to this author speak, I was able to look at my activity levels, examine my behaviors, and study my patterns. I was able to discover that I am the queen of self-sabotage....at least in reference to my writing.

(In real life, I'm a pretty straight forward, no nonsense, no fooling around sort of chick. But with my characters? I'm a pushover. A total sap.)

I write on my bed, with the TV on. This is a bad idea (for me) because I can't focus. I snack while I write, which is both bad for my weight, but also distracting. I also don't set time limits...which means time means nothing, and I just write (or don't write) all day long, airy-fairy style, only to realize that school lets out in 4 minutes and holy crap, I'm late!!!

You get the picture.



So anyway, after the conference, I decided to create a schedule for myself. Five "sprints," (setting a timer, and writing without self editing for the allotted amount of time, then taking a break in between sprints) followed by 15 minute breaks, and an hour and a half break for lunch. After following the schedule last week, I discovered that I am extremely productive in the mornings. But not very productive at all in the afternoons. So that's when I do my social media, cover design, editing, marketing, etc.

On Friday, I hit 4K words. I'm aiming for 5K per day by the time I finish this book. Because I rock.

And this discovery is all thanks to that workshop. You see? Conferences are the bomb!

xoxo
Brooke

No comments:

Post a Comment