Sunday, March 20, 2016

Because....baklava.

My family and I went to a neighborhood in Seoul called Itaewon yesterday. It was a nice outing, mostly done because it's finally looking like spring here in South Korea, but also because there are a lot of English speaking stores/restaurants, etc, since there is an American military base nearby. The kids especially like the English bookstore, where they can get books written in the coveted English. (There is a library at their school, but popular books go fast, and my kids--much like their mother--prefers to own books they love. What can I say? We're book people.)

Look at this sculpture! Koreans love sculptures. They're everywhere...and so random!
I have weird kids.


While we were there, I stumbled upon a wig store, and did a happy dance. Having alopecia in South Korea is no walk in the park. For starters, women with hair loss here don't talk about it openly. It, like most everything else, is taboo, and so it's not like I can walk into a wig store in my little home city of Songdo and walk out with some lovely Jon Renau wigs to tide me over. And sadly, hair loss (for me) represents a loss of control, and I like having lots of wigs in lots of styles and colors, so that I can change them with my moods. This gives me back some of that "control" I feel like I've lost. But alas...no wig stores in South Korea. Or, not many, that is.

More sculptures...




Luckily for me, though, I found one in Itaewon. It caters more to black clients, and the occasional Korean, rather than painfully white, bordering on translucent, 40 year old me. Most of the wigs were pitch black in color, much too dark for me, but there were a couple that were light enough for me to try on. And lo and behold, I found one! Score! It was considerably cheaper than the wigs I order in America, so I don't expect it to last very long at all. And it doesn't feel like exceptional quality, but it looks cute! And I was able to alter the front hairline and create a part to make it look more natural once I got home. (It was super easy...I love YouTube!) All it will take is some darker eyebrow pencil to make it match, and maybe just maybe I can pull it off. (The woman who sold it to me--who is from Senegal--laughed as I was trying them on, and congratulated me on my first "black wig," and said she hoped I'd be back for more.)

Occasionally, I don't feel like such an outsider here in South Korea.  :)

Oh, I almost forgot to mention: we got some baklava! Itaewon is a great neighborhood for scoring international food... i.e. NOT Korean food. Barf. This place is crawling with taco joints, burger joints, and Turkish food. Which, is one of my favorites. The baklava is tremendous. And everywhere! I was in heaven. Because....well...baklava.

I like my new wig a lot. Whatcha think?


All in all, it was a good day outside in the sunshine. What did you do this weekend, reader and writer friends?

xxoo
Brooke

2 comments:

  1. Wow!! The new wig looks great as do you!! You go girl!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete