Thursday, January 28, 2016

Little Life Tidbits....by Brooke Moss

It is dang near impossible to explain the "Expat Hoarder Mentality" to someone who hasn't lived abroad. 
Never, ever take for granted the ability to go into a grocery store and buy exactly what you want, when you want it. That's a luxury I didn't quite understand until I moved abroad. 
For instance, I just got over a horrible bout with the flu. Actually, that name doesn't do justice. Let's be more specific, and refer to it as: Satan's Sick Way of Making You Wish You Were Dead Tummy Bug. Anyhoo, as I was clawing my way out of the trenches today, I would've done unmentionable things for a bottle of ginger ale. Now, my stomach doesn't tolerate bubbly drinks anymore, but I would've been willing to risk it for 1/4 cup of some blessed, *real* ginger ale. But no. Because I live in Korea.
This is why I have found a deeper appreciation for the convenience of American shopping. Want some spaghetti squash? Go get it! Need some Crystal Light? Here, take 20! Have a hankerin' for some peanut butter cups? Come on over, we've got plenty. 
Say a little prayer. Thank God for American grocery stores, friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment