Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Gratitude challenge...week 13:

This week's prompt?

A challenge I've overcome.

When I was a kid, everyone thought I was stupid. Yup. They all thought I was dumb as a rock, and when I was a senior in high school, they tested me for dyslexia. Ironically, the tests came up inconclusive.

Yeah. I'm an anomaly.



But we all knew something was wrong with me. It wasn't until I was an adult that I realized I wasn't a complete moron. I just learned differently. I am very literal and visual. I don't get "concepts" very well. That's why math never clicked for me. Without stacking blocks or counting my fingers, I simply don't get it. I need to touch, feel, taste, and experience things, otherwise the information goes in one ear, and slips right back out the other.

I couldn't sit still. I couldn't focus. Nothing held my attention. Nothing was interesting except books, movies, art, and music. And when you go to a small town school in rural Washington state...sports rule.

Which meant, I was an odd kid out.

Now that I'm an adult, I'm okay with myself. I like being sort of a freak. I like being kind of a dork. I get mad when I can't help my kids with their homework, but that's why I've got a fantastic husband. :)

I like me. I'm not a moron. I'm different. And different is okay.

xxoo
Brooke

No comments:

Post a Comment