Thursday, December 4, 2014

Excerpt time...

Still curious about my fantasy YA, Underwater?



Check out this snippet....and see what you think:

He didn’t wait for an answer. He must have read the expression on my face because he took hold of the handles on my chair and proceeded to push me down the hill. I braced my hands on the armrests as we bounced past the rough spots and skidded to a stop at the end of the wet dock.
He knelt before me and ran his knuckles down the side of my face. “I know you hate having help. But if you want to go somewhere, I don’t understand why you should be limited.”
Locking my wheels, I grinned despite myself. “It’s like you read my mind.” I froze. “Wait, can you do that?”
He pulled his lips back, and I could see a sliver of his white teeth. “No. Will you be able to get yourself back up the hill after I leave?”
Nodding, I tossed my hair over my shoulder, enjoying the air blowing off the choppy waves. “Yeah. It’s difficult, but not impossible.”
“You aren’t lying to me, are you?” He narrowed his eyes. “I don’t want to leave you stranded.”
“I’m not stranded, I promise.” I tousled his hair playfully, and my stomach flip-flopped when he turned his face into the palm of my hand. “I sneak down here all the time. My parents just don’t know. Otherwise they’d freak.”
He leaned in and pressed a long kiss against my temple. “I’ll see you soon.”
I drew in his scent and begged my mind to memorize it. I wanted to be able to recall that aroma as I lay in bed at night or sat in class at school. My throat tightened, and I cleared it vigorously. “Would it be cheesy for me to say that I’ll miss you? Because I will.”
His crooked smile made my heart speed up. “I’ll miss you too.”
And with that he stood up and took the bag into the boathouse. I listened to the soft ruffle of clothing and then the noisy crackle of the plastic, and all of the hair on the back of my neck stood up. Closing my eyes, I turned my face up toward the hazy sky. The sun was trying to filter through the clouds, but spring just wasn’t ready to take over yet. I imagined the bitterly cold water. How did Saxon manage to tolerate being chilled with such ease?
A splash sounded on the other side of the boathouse, and I popped my eyes open. There, just below the surface, was the longest fin I’d ever laid eyes on. I couldn’t see his upper body. He was moving too fast and heading straight down. His tail was ridged with muscle and made of thousands of metallic green, gray, and blue scales reflecting light in every direction. It moved up and down with such force that the water at the surface slapped against the dock, making it rock up and down. With just two flicks of the massive tail fins, Saxon was swallowed by the black water, and the only hint he’d even been there was the colors I still saw like tracers.
“Luna!” The scream was blood-curdling, and my shoulders jerked in response.
Cringing, I slapped my hand on my forehead and turned in my seat. I was busted. Big time busted. There stood my mother, still in her Deep Lake apron, gaping at me from the back porch.
“Uh…hi, Mom.”

GRAB YOUR COPY OF UNDERWATER TODAY! CLICK HERE!

No comments:

Post a Comment