Monday, June 9, 2014

Blog challenge day 6!

It's a new week, and I still haven't given up on the blog writing challenge! Go me!

Today's topic is.... someone who doesn't live in this country.



Now, I'm not gonna lie. This is vague. Am I supposed to write about someone I know who lives abroad? Someone I don't know? Am I supposed to make someone up? If not, then do I do a "day in the life" thing about this foreigner? And if that's the case, then how do I know what they do every day? I don't live there.....

So now that I've stared at the computer screen for 20 minutes...

I guess I'll write about my oldest brother. He is a former 20 year Marine, and now works for national security. He spends about 2/3 of his time in other countries, most of which are dangerous, sandy places where we as a family have to put him out of our minds for months at a time, because otherwise we'll worry ourselves sick.

I hate that he has to leave his wife and children so often, but I'm always amazed at the dedication his wife shows. She never wavers. Well, maybe she does, but she doesn't show it, and I'm always amazed by her dignity. If I were her, I would be a weepy, cranky, blithering mess. But she's got it together. I admire that.

My brother doesn't talk much about his experiences in other countries. His clams up and just talks about how glad he is to be back stateside and how he wishes he didn't have to go back. Last time we talked on the phone, he said he will tell me stories about his adventures "someday." I'm not sure I want to hear them, or not. They're likely scary and dangerous. But then again, I probably do want to hear them. Mostly because I'd like to understand my brother a bit better.

He and I share some personality traits that our other brother and mother don't share. He and I are both precise and organized. We like things to happen in order, and prefer tidiness and peace. We don't deal well with chaos. I love my brother, can you tell? Actually, I love both of my brothers. There's something to be said about a little girl growing up with big brothers. There's nothing like it.

Hey....you know who else had big brothers? Lexie, in Baby & Bump. You should hear their antics around a dinner table! Oh, my......grab BABY & BUMP by clicking here today!

No comments:

Post a Comment