Wednesday, August 14, 2013

A note to my awesome readers....

As an author, I strive to write stories that are not only heartwarming and romantic, but are also somewhat true to life. As most of you know, life is messy.

 People make mistakes, use poor judgment, do the opposite of what others (their families, their friends, etc) would prefer them to do, and sometimes they even screw up. My characters are purposefully the same. I work hard at making them as "human" as possible, and that's why they often make judgment calls that are infuriating for my readers.

They find love in inconvenient places, during the "wrong time" of their lives, they love the wrong person, and sometimes they screw up relationships. My hope is that by reading my books, my readers will not only feel a kinship with my characters, but will also find themselves connecting with them through their ups and downs. Find a reason to see a little bit of themselves in a character purposefully written to be flawed.

Because nobody makes the right choice every time, am I right, or am I right? I know that reading a book that is taken in a direction I didn't appreciate is frustrating as a reader, and I've lost count of how many times I've read books by my favorite authors that have left me aggravated. But that's the joy of reading. You can experience story after story, ending after ending, and be left reeling from all sorts of emotions. Anger, sadness, joy, confusion. It's all part of the journey.

I love all feedback, my dear readers, it is priceless, and every word of it--good and bad--helps build my craft as an author. But just know as you read my stories that I don't ever intend to write stories that are made up of perfect characters, who make perfect choices, and lead perfect lives. Brooke Moss books will always be based on real life. The good, the bad, and the ugly.

It is absolutely my privilege to share them with all of you.

1 comment: