Friday, March 15, 2013

Argh.

I just finished a trilogy that I HIGHLY recommended to you all about a year ago. I wrote blog after blog, singing it's praises.....



And I've been waiting on pins and needles for the third and final installment for this trilogy.

It came out last week, and (of course) I read the crap out of it.....

And last night I finished it.

*SIGH*



To say I was let down by the last book would be the understatement of the year. Now, I know some say that authors should be supportive of other authors--at any cost--giving them good reviews even when you didn't enjoy the books.

I don't believe this.

As an author, I have gotten some pretty scathing reviews. Some have ticked me off, others have made me cry. But over all...I've taken it. Reviews go hand in hand with publishing books, and if I can't take a bad one, then I've got no business publishing books. Period.

Remember this: JOYOUS READS

Yeah. Those are my feelings on bad reviews in a nutshell.

So anyway...I really struggled last night with how to review this last book in the trilogy. I wanted to praise the author for stellar writing. Because talent drips off of this woman like sweat in August, and that's a fact. She's amazing. But on this last book....she really dropped the ball. It felt like she simply lost interest, and walked away from the computer. There was no conclusion whatsoever. For any of the plot points. None. Nada. Nothing.



I wanted to scream. And cry.

True story.

So............today, since so many of you are asking me what I thought of the last installment of the Delirium Trilogy, by Lauren Oliver, I am posting a link to my review here: Goodreads!

My final thoughts are this: Ms. Oliver is amazing, and I can only hope to have a tenth of her talent someday. Her world building skills are stellar. Her word usage is at times poetic. However......she ended the story poorly, and left me--as a loyal fan, and paying customer for all three of her books--completely unsatisfied with the ending.

That being said...grab the books. They're worth the read, and you won't regret spending your time reading them. They're exquisite and very creative. However...you'll likely want to punch someone in the throat after you read her crappy ending to the series.

Good luck, peeps.

2 comments:

  1. Looks like you weren't the only one who wasn't happy with it Brooke. I read and reviewed Delirium and was majorly in the minority in giving it a lower starred review. I thought her world building was really poorly thought out and under-developed in that first book so I haven't continued with it.

    That said, I loved that final chapter of it and the rotten kindly cliffhangery way it made me want to read the next even though I personally felt it would be wasting my valuable time as a reviewer.

    Thank you for being so darned honest about it because I hate that authors either have to (or feel that they have to) refrain from being readers capable of not liking a book and saying so at the potential expense of career issues.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know, right?? I've seen authors give 5 star reviews to books that they openly admitted to not enjoying. Grrrr. And here's the clincher: if you don't like the book, then leave an honest review...just don't trash the author. I think too many authors take their reviews personally. If I get a bad review, I can take it so long as my skills as an author aren't insulted. Grow up, authors. We have to take the bitter with the sweet.

    ReplyDelete